86 Field vehicle markings

86 Sexton front
25 pdr SP Sexton – NW Europe June 1944 (Front) G sub-section, F Troop, 462 Bty
Shipping plate
86 50 div TT
Bridge plate2 Army badge
86 arm of serviceFG tac sign

 

  1. Shipping data
  2. Bridge Classification sign
  3. Arm of Service
  4. 50 Inf Div badge – the background is omitted and the letters outlined in a light colour, probably white
  5. 2nd Army badge
  6. Tac Sign – note that the large letter is the Troop (F) and the smaller letter the gun (G)

 

The gun has the vehicle serial number on the side

 

CO sherman
CO’s Sherman V OP – June 1944

 

186 arm of service2CO tac sign
32 Army badge

 

  1. Arm of Service
  2. Tac sign
  3. 2nd Army badge
    The AoS & Tac signs were on square plates attached to the vehicle
    For D Day there was also a shipping plate on the turret front to the right of the mantlet

 


 

front & rear sexton
25 pdr SP Sexton – NW Europe April 1945 (Front & Rear) G sub-section, F Troop, 462 Bty

 

FG tac sign2 Army badge
13
86 arm of service86 50 div TT
24

 

2 Army badge50 Division
34
86 arm of serviceFG tac sign
21

 

 

  1. Tac Sign – note that the large letter is the Troop (F) and the smaller letter the gun (G)
  2. Arm of Service
  3. 2nd Army badge
  4. 50 Inf Div badge – on the front of the gun the background is omitted and the letters outlined in a light colour, probably white

 

Sexton rear
Alternative rear markings on gun
of A Troop 341 Bty in same photo
as above
50 Division 42 Army badge 3
86 tac sign 1S233404
5
86 arm of service 2

5. Vehicle serial number S233404 ?(the last 3 numbers are not clear). Note the serial no. is shown black on the drawing for
clarity. It was white on the vehicle.

 

The 341 Bty gun has a white Allied Star on the side with the vehicle serial number above. The 462 Bty gun carries no other markings.

 

The 2 black dots on the front upper superstructure show the position of 2 spare bogie wheels. It is believed that this was the only regiment to carry spare wheels in this position. The wheels were mounted on tubing welded to the hull front and retained by a pin passing through a hole in the end of the tube.