The unit was formed as 3 Lowland Brigade Royal Field Artillery (TF) in February 1920. It was formed with 1, 2 & 3 City of Glasgow Batteries from 3 Lowland Brigade. Also, 4 City of Glasgow Battery from 4 Lowland Brigade. The Brigade re-designated as 80 (Lowland) Brigade Royal Field Artillery (TA) in 1921. It then became 80 (Lowland) Field Brigade Royal Artillery (TA) in June 1924. Another change in title came in August 1937 when the Brigade re-titled as 80 (Lowland – City of Glasgow) Field Brigade RA (TA). 80 (Lowland – City of Glasgow) Field Brigade Royal Artillery (TA) re-designated as 80 (Lowland-City of Glasgow) Field Regiment RA (TA) in November 1938 with two batteries. In May 1941 a third battery was formed. The Regiment spent the entire war serving with 52 (Lowland) Infantry Division. Post war 80 (Lowland-City of Glasgow) Field Regiment RA (TA) went into suspended animation in May 1946 and was re-constituted as 280 (Lowland-City of Glasgow) Medium Regiment RA (TA) in January 1947.
Illustrations of the formation badges under which a unit served or supported are given. This is no guarantee that the unit used this formations badge.
|3 Sep 39||52 Infantry Division||Glasgow, UK|
|Oct 44||52 Infantry Division||NW Europe|
|Nov 44||52 Infantry Division||Walcheren Island, Holland|
|1921||317, 318, 319, 320|
|Nov 38||317 (1st City of Glasgow), 318 (2nd City of Glasgow) – 319 & 320 Batteries to 131 Field Regiment|
|May 41||317, 318, 458|