The unit was formed as 2 Lowland Brigade Royal Field Artillery (TF) in February 1920. It formed with 1st, 2nd & 3rd Ayr Batteries and the newly formed Kirkcudbright Battery. The Brigade was re-numbered, becoming 79 (Lowland) Brigade RFA (TA) in 1921. The Brigade changed title again in June 1924 to 79 (Lowland) Field Brigade Royal Artillery (TA). 79 Field Brigade RA (TA) was re-designated 79 (Lowland) Field Regiment RA (TA) in November 1938 with two batteries. In July 1940 a third battery was formed at Chippenham. It spent the entire war serving with 52 (Lowland) Infantry Division. Post war 79 (Lowland) Field Regiment RA (TA) went into suspended animation in May 1946 and was re-constituted as 279 (Lowland) Field Regiment RA (TA) in January 1947.
Illustrations of the formation badges under which a unit served or supported are given. This is no guarantee that the unit used this formations badge.
|3 Sep 39||52 Infantry Division||Ayr, Ayrshire, UK|
|Aug 44||157 Infantry Brigade Group||UK|
|Sep 44||157 Infantry Brigade Group||NW Europe|
|Oct 44||52 Infantry Division||NW Europe|
|Nov 44||52 Infantry Division||Walcheren Island, Holland|
|1921||313, 314, 315, 316|
|Nov 38||313 (Ayr), 314 (Irvine) – 315 & 316 Batteries to 130 Field Regiment|
|Jul 40||A, B, C|
|Apr 41||313, 314, 457 – A, B & C Batteries re-numbered|