Moonlight Batteries

Moonlight batteries were searchlight units used to provide battlefield illumination by reflecting their light off the cloudbase to produce artificial moonlight. They were also known as “Movement Lights” and “Monty’s Moonlight” after 2nd Army’s commander General Montgomery.

Experiments in this use of searchlights took place in NW Europe and Italy during 1944. In February 1945, 3 of the batteries involved in the experiments were officially designated Moonlight Batteries and a further 2 batteries raised.

344 Moonlight Battery
356 Moonlight Battery
557 Moonlight Battery
581 Moonlight Battery
582 Moonlight Battery