Approved for service on 19 March 1909 although the 4.5 inch Howitzer was first issued in 1908, it remained in service until declared obsolete on 13 September 1944. Due to be replaced by the 25 pdr, it was still in service in 1939 and served with the British Expeditionary Force in France & Belgium. It continued to serve with Home Forces until sufficient stocks of 25 pdr were available. The 4.5 inch Howitzer also served in the Far East, Eritrea and the Western Desert. It remained in use as a training weapon until ammo stocks ran out.