The 2 pdr Anti-Tank Gun was formally approved on 1 January 1936 and by 1939 it was in service in some numbers, but was fast approaching the end of its useful service life. In 1940 more than 500 of these guns were left behind in France, but in order to rapidly equip the army it remained in production for another year, rather than introduce the new 6 pdr gun. After the summer of 1942 the gun was replaced in Anti-Tank Regiments by the 6 pdr. It remained in service with the infantry and some were issued to the Home Guard. The gun also remained in service with RA units in the Far East as its performance was quite capable of dealing with Japanese tanks. It was made obsolete in December 1945.
Original design with auto-frettaged barrel
Approved 1940 to speed up production. As Mark 9 but non-auto-frettaged barrel & some tolerances relaxed
Approved 1936. As Mark 9 but of higher grade steel. Non-auto-frettaged
As Mark 10 but dimensional tolerances relaxed
As Mark 10A but fitted for Littlejohn muzzle adaptor. This was a squeeze-bore attachment with skirted projectile